As most of the drivers know, and often emphasize – owning a car is like having another family member to provide for. A car represents second largest purchase with most consumers and these car-related expenses can stack up quite high. Once your car is in your garage, there are numerous strategies you can apply to lower the costs. We will go though some of the practices related to fuel consumption, insurance savings and maintenance expenses cutbacks. After reading this you will no longer wonder how to save on your car running costs.
Fuel consumption tips
One of the biggest, if not the biggest impact on our budget is the cost of fuel for our automotive pets. It doesn’t matter whether the car is old or new, following some simple tips can help you really save quite some fuel, money, and best of all, it can help with your car’s overall condition.
Manage cruising speed
– It goes without saying that you should always follow speed limitations, for obvious reasons. What we want to point out is that controlling the cruising speed at 50 mph can help you save quite a bit of money. When driving at higher speed gas mileage decreases, and this means that your engine is burning more fuel. With the optimal speed, your engine works in the best possible way, with the least possible fuel consumption.
Turn the A/C system off
– We know it can get quite hot/cold around the world, and turning the A/C system completely off is sometimes just not an option, but having it on can elevate the fuel consumption up to 25%. With balanced regime and usage of air-conditioning only in the necessary cases, you can save a lot.
Check the tires
– Tires with proper pressure can improve gas mileage up to 5%, according to various studies. With necessary equipment for setting the tire pressure available practically everywhere, you can easily check and set your tires easily. Properly inflated tires have less chance of blowing up and are more durable, which helps you save both on fuel, and on tires at the same time.
Insurance savings tips
When it comes to the insurance, there are lots of things to think about. Various companies provide various policies, and you have to find the one that suits your specific needs. There are some general things to keep in mind when dealing with car insurance that may help you save a penny or two.
Look for insurance bundling. A lot of various insurance users have testified they’ve managed to save significant amounts of money with bundling their home, life and car insurances. Depending on the program insurance companies offer, always keep an eye for a better long-term solution.
Various companies offer to drop the costs of insurance if drivers allow them periodical monitoring via GPS or with the insurer in a car. This way you may drop the costs of your insurance even lower, and know that you are insured in case of emergency.
Maintenance savings tips
Another immensely high impact on the budget is various car repairs. Maintaining a car can be a challenging task, and you should always leave it to the professionals, but when it comes to some small repairs, and things you can do, learning some new skills will prove quite profitable.
Watch the brakes
– Experts from Mechanic Epping have noted that one of the biggest car maintenance expenses is with the breaks. Aggressive driving lowers the gas mileage, and slamming the brakes significantly lowers their structure. Slow braking and gentle driving can expand your brakes’ life for 10 to 20 thousand miles of driving, and it can save you a lot of money.
Replace the air filter
– Best way to improve fuel economy and protect your engine from the dirt is replacing the air filter. This process isn’t very complicated, and it should be done in every 30 000 miles.
Handle easy repairs yourself
– With internet and learning videos, you can practically learn how to build a new car from scratch. Get some new skills and stop paying mechanics for those small repairs like replacing wiper blades, lights or fuses.
Rotate your tires
– Tires wear out quickly, that’s just what they do. Usually, front ones wear more quickly than those in the back. You can save quite some money by rotating and switching your front and back tires regularly. This way they wear out at the same speed, making your car have a balanced drive, and you don’t have to buy new tires every once in a while.
Hopefully, you’ve found some of these tips helpful, and they will help you lower your maintenance costs. Remember, the way you drive and treat your car is very important when it comes to saving money on it. Well maintained cars can age up elegantly, and keep almost all of their original functionality for many years.
Learn some new skills and show pride in your vehicle, and it will star showing on your budget very soon. Learning how to save on your car running costs can now benefit you financially for years to come.